The Wight Proms is back, and even bigger and better than last year! Since the huge success of the inaugural 'Wight Proms' in 2018, festival organisers have been working hard to bring yet another all-star line-up to the Isle of Wight, when the festival returns in August later this year.
This Summer sees the return of the Wight Proms to Northwood House in Cowes, from Thursday 29th August to Sunday 1st September. This year’s event features some of the biggest names in music, film and comedy – including soprano Lesley Garrett, comedy legends Alan Davies & Shappi Khorsandi and West End & Broadway Leading Lady Ruthie Henshall.
What is 'The Wight Proms'?
- The annual open-air festival at Northwood House in Cowes which launched last year, celebrating comedy, musical theatre and classical music, and featuring red squirrels and free arts workshops.
- The 4-day festival will take place on 29 August-1 September in the grounds of Northwood House, the grade II* listed Georgian manor house
- There has never before been a music festival like this on the IOW, catering to lovers of both classical music and musical theatre, as well as comedy.
- We're delighted to be offering an exciting line-up of Free Arts Workshops for all ages. This will give hundreds of people fully-immersive involvement in the arts in ways that they would not otherwise ever experience. Through these workshops, 60 children will perform as part of our show 'Wight at the Musicals' on the Saturday night, plus we will be running drumming & percussion workshops (STOMPstyle, samba and bamboo tamboo) and introducing comedy workshops to the Wight Proms for the first time!
- New additions to this year's festival include 'Wight at the Movies' showing The Greatest Showman and Dirty Dancing, plus comedy workshops for children.
Some testimonials from the Wight Proms audience last year
- "Wight Proms was such a great event. We visited all three nights, which were quite different, and enjoyed each of them enormously. Looking forward to getting a bigger group of people together for next year’s event. Brilliant! Well done!" David Linton
- "Yesterday was a wonderful day out...we all had such a lovely time...Next summer we shall be attending each concert." Julie Bell
- "Just wanted to say how absolutely fabulous the weekend at the Wight Proms was - to have such extraordinary talent up-close and in Cowes was beyond belief. Non-stop seamless musical magic, and really family friendly (my son also loved the giant Connect 4 game at the back!)" Ali Wheeler
Thurs 29th August: Wight at the Movies (NEW event for 2019!)
1.00pm: The Greatest Showman (cert. PG) sponsored by WightFibre
7.30pm: Dirty Dancing (cert. 15) sponsored by WightFibre
Fri 30th August (7.30pm): A Wight Laugh
Starring comedy legends Alan Davies and Shappi Khorsandi at the Wight Proms’ inaugural
open-air show: bringing international stand-up comedy to Cowes for One Night Only!
Saturday 31 August 2019 – Peter & the Wolf (Family Show) - at 1.00pm - NEW event for 2019!
This family concert is a perennial favourite by Sergei Prokofiev. It is a wonderful way to introduce classical music to younger children whilst also entertaining the adults.
With live wind quintet consisting flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon and French horn, our talented instrumentalists have worked with the CBSO, London Concert Orchestra, National Symphony Orchestra and have performed for West End shows and the BBC Proms.
Saturday 31 August 2019 - Wight at the Musicals - at 7.30pm
Starring international Leading Lady Ruthie Henshall; be transported to the world of musical theatre; bringing you some of the best-known and popular songs from West End and Broadway.
Sunday 1 September 2019 - Last Wight of the Proms - at 4.30pm
Starring Britain's most cherished soprano Lesley Garrett. The festival reaches its climax with our final open-air concert: A rousing celebration of British music and flag-waving, including Pomp & Circumstance, Jerusalem and many more.
Free Arts Workshops
We're delighted to be offering an exciting line-up of free arts workshops for people of all ages. This will give hundreds of people fully-immersive involvement in the arts in ways that they would not otherwise ever experience.
Through these workshops, 60 kids will perform as part of our show 'Wight at the Musicals' on the Saturday night, plus we will be running drumming workshops (STOMP-style, samba and bamboo tamboo) and introducing comedy workshops to the Wight Proms for the first time!