Be Shellfish This Summer
With the sun shining and summer in full swing there is nothing better for that perfect relaxing lunch or supper alfresco than some freshly caught crab and lobster. Whether sizzled on the BBQ with lashings of garlic butter or stuffed indulgently into a fresh baguette, the taste of locally sourced shellfish is one of those key signifiers to me that summer is here and the time to chill back and take in a stunning view has arrived.
So, to help you all get your fresh seafood fix here’s my Master Mariners guide to the best places to grab your fishy picnic essentials this summer.
- Avenue Road, Freshwater, PO40 9UT, 01983 752269
- 5 High Street, Bembridge, PO35 5SD, 01983 875572
- 27 Cross Street, PO33 2AA, Ryde, 01983 611611
- East St, Ventnor, PO38 1JR, 01983 852176
- Fisherman’s Wharf, Embankment Road, Bembridge, PO35 5NS, 01983 874758
- 339 Newport Road, Cowes, PO31 8PG, 01983 282 200
- 111 High St, Cowes, PO31 7AT, 01983 245 247
Our favourite spot to get the barbie going and chuck on the lobbies is down at Colwell, looking out over the bay. This is the perfect place to enjoy a spot of swimming and then after your BBQ sit back and take in the most spectacular sunset.
To make life really easy I usually get Andy at JB Fisheries to cook and halve my lobster for me, so that it can be doused in garlic butter and heated through over the coals – saving much time and mess! Pair with a chilled bottle of Pouilly Fumé – perfection!
Happy cracking & picking!
20 August 2018